In this guide, we'll walk you through the simple setup process to get you started on geocoding addresses directly within your Google Sheets, no coding knowledge required. Whether you are a spreadsheet novice or a seasoned pro, you'll find transforming addresses into coordinates has never been this easy.
Ready to save time? Let’s get started!
To get started, follow these steps to ensure you have the necessary permissions to edit the Google Sheet:
- Open this Google Sheet.
- Navigate to the File menu situated at the top left corner of the screen.
- From the dropdown menu, select Make a copy. Please note that downloading the sheet won't yield the desired functionality, as the underlying functions need to operate smoothly.
- A pop-up window will appear, indicating that the Apps Script file will be duplicated. This duplication is crucial for the proper functioning of the sheet.
- Congratulations! A duplicate of the template has now been created in your personal Google Drive.
- You are now free to edit the sheet and input coordinates or addresses into your own copy.
Activating the LocationIQ plugin within the Google Sheet is the next essential step:
- Confirm that you have Edit access to the sheet, as outlined in Step 1.
- Locate the LocationIQ tab in the top menu. Please allow a moment for it to appear; it should be visible after the "Help" option.
- Choose Settings from the dropdown menu.
- A pop-up from Google Sheets will request authorization. Click Continue to proceed.
- Sign in using your Google account and grant the necessary access. If you encounter a warning stating "Google hasn't verified this app," click Advanced followed by "Go to LocationIQ (unsafe)."
- Register for an account with LocationIQ at www.locationiq.com and obtain your Access Token. A quick guide on this process is available here.
- Return to the sheet and once again select Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Input your obtained access token in the designated API Key box.
Congratulations! With the document duplicated and permissions configured, you are now equipped to execute geocoding and reverse geocoding operations.
To convert coordinates to addresses within the Google Sheet:
- Navigate to the sheet titled Reverse Geocoding.
- Paste latitude values in Column A and longitude values in Column B.
- Select the LocationIQ tab from the dropdown menu and opt for Reverse Geocode.
- Switch to the sheet named
- Paste the entire address in
- Recommend address format is
(house_number), (street), (neighbourhood), (city), (state), (country), (postcode)
- Select the
LocationIQtab from the Drop-down and choose
Updated 3 months ago